Copyninja Street FD - GT3 Build

Just reading through your thread mate, lovely car and credit to how far your going with it.

I used to love the days when i was out in the cars all the time with my mates, enjoy those times mate!

Some progress pics.
IMG-20210917-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20210917-WA0027.jpg

IMG-20210917-WA0058.jpg
IMG-20210917-WA0059.jpg
IMG-20210921-WA0031.jpg

Turbo swap completed and ready for collection. I've got short break at Snowdonia so unable to collect it until next week. Will aim to collect it as soon as possible.

Really looking forward to remap this and quite curious to see how much of the map I'll need to change to suit the G35 1050. Overall, really excited to see a current gen turbo replace the old TO4Z. I would say this was long overdue.

In the meantime, been looking at some different toys alongside the rx7 and as of late a couple of my mates recently got a Megane RS 265 Cup and I've always heard positive things about them. Personally, I've never been a fan of the original Megane but the design of the 265/275 cup and trophy are starting to appeal ever more then they did before. Might get one as a fun track car. They seem to be respected as a FWD machine at the ring alongside the infamous 911's and M3's.

However, do not worry the RX7 will always be the main focus. The goal is collect it, remap, verify the results via Dragy GPS....then move onto underside and interior restoration. I'm stuck on the interior seat choice, not sure If I should go Recaro CS or Pole positions!

Got the Rx back from Tims as the new G35-1050 was installed and ready. I got lucky and had a full tank of Shell V power fuel on the drive back home to Cardiff. My luck ran out as the local shell petty stations near me have no v power.

20210930_132219.jpg

The only fuel that really matters for us rotary owners!

Also the mapping process took far longer than I initially anticipated...had to make big changes to the map. Guess the G35-1050 seems to be flowing more air than the older TO4Z, the idle and cruise areas needed some big changes. Managed to remap the car upto 12 psi and 6krpm and had to call it a night due to fuel shortage issues. What an absolute nightmare.

So far so good the G35-1050 seems to be performing very well. However, once I am able to get a full tank of v power...I can get back to it and finish the map and do a dragy gps test again to verify if the newer turbo has made a positive impact or if i just wasted unnecessary coin on a shiny new 🐌!!!

20210930_132222.jpg

Managed to find some fuel today. Wonder if the prices will continue to rise?!

20211005_142823.jpg

Done a power run while I had some time. Hardly any timing and running pig rich and still it felt soo strong. Got upto 12psi and 7500rpm. Will clean up the map a bit more and get upto 20psi and than book a dyno close by to get an idea of the power/tq. Should have some results soon.

Capture.PNG

In the meantime, I've also been dabbling in tuning other cars. This one is by far the most special one I had the chance to tinker with.

BMW 2002 with a Honda S2000 F20C engine and a custom exhaust.

20211002_114915.jpg

Screenshot_20211005-225205_WhatsApp.jpg

Did a bit of idle and cruise tuning on the road but the car was mapped from scratch on the dyno ha!
Screenshot_20211005-225031_WhatsApp.jpg

Made a very healthy 242 hp and 155 lb ft of torque. Not much more can be expected of a standard F20C. It's not the fastest thing but it is incredible fun and well balanced. Kudos to my good mate for buying/building such an unique machine after parting ways with his 700hp M4.

20211002_115000.jpg

I always wondered what I would buy if I ever sold my RX7. I now find myself adding a BMW 2002 to that list for consideration if that day ever came!

Last edited:
Whats your timing map at? Could share a picture? Just running an engine in myself
There are different trails on thought on the timing maps and how these should be configured. I prefer to use a flat timing map on boost with a 13b engine. I am certain experienced mappers may disagree with me and advice you to increase timing as rpm increases on boost. They are not wrong as the combustion cycle gets smaller so this is something for you to consider with your tuning.

Which ecu are you using?

Disclaimer - below is a safe place to start imo assuming you have calibrated your base timing accurately. You will need to test your timing map on a dyno to ensure the best results for your application. I would refrain from copying anyone's timing map including mine and test what works in your application.

In the example above; when dialing in the timing map on the F20c engine. Timing was removed from the base map to tune the cruise and idle areas. However, this retarded the timing a bit too much....the result was the exhaust manifold started to glow red. This makes for a mega cool photo but also a great indication that the engine wants more timing to get the egts under control.

1633515203650.png

Keep the trailing split to 10 or 12.

There are different trails on thought on the timing maps and how these should be configured. I prefer to use a flat timing map on boost with a 13b engine. I am certain experienced mappers may disagree with me and advice you to increase timing as rpm increases on boost. They are not wrong as the combustion cycle gets smaller so this is something for you to consider with your tuning.

Which ecu are you using?

Disclaimer - below is a safe place to start imo assuming you have calibrated your base timing accurately. You will need to test your timing map on a dyno to ensure the best results for your application. I would refrain from copying anyone's timing map including mine and test what works in your application.

In the example above; when dialing in the timing map on the F20c engine. Timing was removed from the base map to tune the cruise and idle areas. However, this retarded the timing a bit too much....the result was the exhaust manifold started to glow red. This makes for a mega cool photo but also a great indication that the engine wants more timing to get the egts under control.

View attachment 30089
Keep the trailing split to 10 or 12.
Thanks mate, mines just on the PFC base map atm so wanted to see timing, yours is a lot more retarded than mine in certain areas iirc

Thanks mate, mines just on the PFC base map atm so wanted to see timing, yours is a lot more retarded than mine in certain areas iirc
Sounds good. In the cruise and idle areas you should be fine if only running in your car. Doesn't the pfc add additional timing additional to the ign map as well? so that may be something for you to be mindful of.

Sounds good. In the cruise and idle areas you should be fine if only running in your car. Doesn't the pfc add additional timing additional to the ign map as well? so that may be something for you to be mindful of.
I think so, so been going through on a gameboy to make sure theres nothing untoward. Thanks for the heads up.

iirc the PFC adds 1 deg of additional timing above 4500rpm and another 1 degree above 6000 rpm. I believe this is an automated process that happens in the background.
Checked mine last night and its very similar to yours as I thought it would be. Had some timing pulled out of it for running in the engine but was unsure on how much. Thanks for clarifying.

Installation, protection and ride height as per Ohlins recommended setup in the Manual. I believe the ride height is 20mm lower compared to stock

View attachment 7017

View attachment 7018

View attachment 7019

View attachment 7020

View attachment 7021

View attachment 7022
Apologies for dredging this up but I’m after a set of these and would like to know how much of a reduction to ride height is achievable with them. Some websites state 15 mm reduction front and rear - is that correct from your experience? Other manufacturers such as Tein seem to confirm that their kits (eg mono streets) have a lot more flexibility on ride height adjustment than the ohlins!?