E85 experience

mangiavelox

I try to find some feedback of owner running on e85 for some years. In the USA we can find many people wo run with this type of fuel with a very good result.

Now I'm undecided to map my car on sp100 or with flex fuel and e85/sp100. My doubt it's about the corrosion of the e85, I wouldn't to have rust in my internal of fuel tank after some years or my fuel rail damaged. My car isn't a daily car but a occasionally car and I read on some post that the e85 attract more water than sp100 and this is the cause of the rusted fuel tank ect, now we can find some additives to cure this issu "same for the boat fuel tank when they will winterized".

We don't have E85 in the UK and thus won't have experience in this department. However, I used to live in the States and on occasion would run E85 in my Buick Grand National. It was not recommended to do it at all given the fuel system was not designed to support E85 and how corrosive it is. The RX-7 will be the same in that it was designed at a time when E85 didn't exist and thus the stock fuel system, tank, lines, etc. won't appreciate E85 for very long.

My question to you is why do you need to run E85? You can make all the power you will ever need on pump fuel plus water injection. We have cars running up to 700hp on pump fuel plus water injection.

I would run it only for because we can have more power and torque with e85.

The water injection it's a good alternative but I hear that sometimes the system can break and the engine can have detonation and break too...

I don't believe you will see that much of a difference between E85 and 97-99 octane with a rotary. Tuners in the UK at least, don't generally mess with ignition timing advance or anything like that to get extra power since the rotary doesn't really respond to those tweaks like a piston engine does.

I have never heard of an issue with water injection breaking or causing a problem. A water/methanol mix does potentially create issues because you have to specifically tune for the methanol and if your ratio is wrong then you can cause detonation.

Ask around a bit further on the forum and everyone will recommend the safest way to make power is a mix of 97-99 octane pump fuel plus water injection to manage air intake temps.

My interest of e85 it's because in usa all tuners use very much this type of fuel with good result and more hp.

There is a very advantage to use water methanol injection on a rotary?

Theres a lot of pros to running water, lower ait's.
Not so much good feedback on meth, the mix needs to be bang on every time and all the time or you risk detonation
I will be running wi but not meth.

I try to find some feedback of owner running on e85 for some years. In the USA we can find many people wo run with this type of fuel with a very good result.

Now I'm undecided to map my car on sp100 or with flex fuel and e85/sp100. My doubt it's about the corrosion of the e85, I wouldn't to have rust in my internal of fuel tank after some years or my fuel rail damaged. My car isn't a daily car but a occasionally car and I read on some post that the e85 attract more water than sp100 and this is the cause of the rusted fuel tank ect, now we can find some additives to cure this issu "same for the boat fuel tank when they will winterized".

I have 8+ years in using E85 for street and race application. Its a great fuel if your chasing higher numbers and want to be reliable doing it. I made 501 whp on my street FD about 3 years ago in the states. My setup was a Aeromotive FPR, CJ fuel Rails, (4) ID2000 cc injectors, -8 AN FEED, -8 AN Return fuel lines, Flex fuel sensor, 10 micron fuel filter with Stainless steel element, Dual Walbro 485 fuel pumps. That's pretty much the recipe you need to do a proper E85 conversion. In all my experience, I've never personally had any issues with corrosion or water filling up in the tank.

In the UK they don't sell E85 at the pump, only C85 which can be found at Santa Pod Raceway. Not sure how accessible it is in Switzerland.

I don't believe you will see that much of a difference between E85 and 97-99 octane with a rotary. Tuners in the UK at least, don't generally mess with ignition timing advance or anything like that to get extra power since the rotary doesn't really respond to those tweaks like a piston engine does.

-That's not entirely true I've personally seen a noticeable difference between E85 vs 99 octane. Ethanol is rated near 106 octane and it does give a cooling effect which drops intake temps significantly. E85 also improves spool and torque. There's several reasons why its being used in the states and its been adapted to highly modified cars. I cant speak for tuners in the UK on adjusting timing but that part may be true.

I have never heard of an issue with water injection breaking or causing a problem. A water/methanol mix does potentially create issues because you have to specifically tune for the methanol and if your ratio is wrong then you can cause detonation.

-True
Ask around a bit further on the forum and everyone will recommend the safest way to make power is a mix of 97-99 octane pump fuel plus water injection to manage air intake temps.

-I agree