Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2000 RS.

Latest posts

Sam.rog

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2025
Messages
46
Hi All.
Finally got an rx7 after first starting a tentative wanted add on here 9 month ago.

A forum member reached out and said he was potentially selling but wasn’t sure yet.
For that 9 months Ive been watching the market and looking at every rx7 fc/fd being listed on forums/ facebook ebay ect.

I really wanted a 99spec car. There were a few pre 99 with the facelifted parts fitted but that wouldn’t do.
I wanted as standard as possible. Nothing against other peoples vision for the car but it isn’t mine. I didn’t want someone else’s dream.
Colour wasn’t important as I think the rx7 shape suits them all. But preference was yellow, red and blue.
Healthy engine. I didn’t want to buy a car and immediately have it off the road for an unknown period of time getting and engine rebuilt.

The forum members car was all of the above and nothing in the 9 months of looking came close.
A follow up message on here just to keep contact going in June and the seller had made his decision to sell. Life and timing slowed it down a touch on both sides but eventually both of us were free and a date was organised.

I didn’t mention the car was 200+ miles away so a return train journey was booked. 5 hours each way. Always nerve wracking going to view a car so far away.
I’d researched for 9 months felt pretty confident in what to look for and to make sure I was buying a decent one.

Buyer picked me up at the station and we drove back to his. Up goes the garage door and there it is. He drives it out and my poker face, not that I had a good one anyway, completely dropped.
I’ll have it.
Quick spin to confirm it starts and stops as it should but unless the engine fell out on the test drive I wasn’t taking the train home.

Price was the price and to be honest it was priced correctly. With me being 5 hours from home I was a captive audience anyway.
Deal done. One small argument with chase bank to send my money to the seller. Natwest no problem.

5 hour drive home highlighted some issues. Nothing major but stuff that will need to be addressed.

First of all the coilovers are unbearable. Managed to make it to oxford before giving up and adjusting them. Set it all to 1/2 way and they stopped being pogo sticks with zero high or low speed damping.
Rest of the journey was uncomfortable but not unbearable.

Exhaust hits what I think is the rhs towing eye. Easy fix I think with some harder durometer rubber mounts. Its also a bit noisy for me. Ill see if I can quieten it down a touch. Its drones on the motorway.

4th gear synchro is on the way out. It doesn’t like to be rushed. Its fine if you drive like a granny.

Only the rear speakers work.

Not sure if its how they are but the idle seems to be a bit erratic. When hot it seems to jump around from 700ish to 1000ish. Can hear a muffled pop or two from the exhaust.
It also shakes the car a bit when the idle drops down to the 700s.
Small amount of throttle to bring up the revs to 1000rpm ans it smooths out nicely.

If it sounds like I’m not happy you’d be wrong. Im over the moon with it. I’m realistic that it’s a 26 year old car but I’m also a perfectionist so I probably have higher expectations than most and hate when anything isn’t right.

The car has been sat around for a while doing the yearly MOT run and not much else. It made the 250 mile journey back without any mechanical faults apart from the above. So confident it’s a sound base with good bones.
Just needs that 10% to get it up to my level. I’ll probably never get there but its fun trying and will keep me occupied.

Immediate plans are giving it a top to bottom service. Replace anything that looks tired or are known potential issues.
Fresh tyres.
Then work through the above issues over time.

Its staying mostly standard. I’m going with OEM+.
Modern ECU with as many sensors to monitor the engine as possible.
Spacers to push the oem wheels out a bit.
Carbon front lip.
Carbon rear wing blade.
Undecided on feed side trims.
Custom Ti full exhaust system. (Love the sound of a Ti exhaust) if I can get it quiet enough.
Stock power as 280hp is plenty for me to enjoy on the road.

Again a big thank you to the previous owner for selling me the car as I had nearly lost hope that something was going to turn up which matched my wants.
Id even started looking at r32 gtrs. Glad I held out for this rx7 as its a beauty.

Unfortunately its on the road until I can clear out the garage. This wont be seeing any salt.
CBC879B7-5838-4B48-8A3A-9785E5C31150.jpeg


Gets the seal of approval. He didn’t want me to sell my subarus but now is very happy to go in daddy’s race car.
3 more shows to go to this year before its tucked away for hibernation.
IMG_5970.jpeg
 
Blue is the best colour for these in my opinion, and the car looks to be a fine example. Like you say these cars are 25-30 years old so some necessary tlc is to be expected.

I'd be interested to hear your plans on wheel spacers. I've got the same setup (stock body, type rs wheels) but have heard differing opinions on 15/20mm vs. 20/25mm.
 
Blue is the best colour for these in my opinion, and the car looks to be a fine example. Like you say these cars are 25-30 years old so some necessary tlc is to be expected.

I'd be interested to hear your plans on wheel spacers. I've got the same setup (stock body, type rs wheels) but have heard differing opinions on 15/20mm vs. 20/25mm.
Im going 15mm all round as I don’t want any issues with rubbing.
I also intend to run track day tyres on this. They tend to be slightly oversized and have a squarer profile compared to a pure road biased tyre.
If I can find a set of yoko A052 for less than £300 a tyre.
 
And out with the seats and floormats.

IMG_5984.jpeg


Thats one seats worth of detritus. Yummy.
IMG_5985.jpeg


Looking much better now. They also smell fresh.

IMG_5986.jpeg


Floor mats came up well. Will give these a third and final wetvac.
IMG_5982.jpeg


I use an antibacterial cleaner in the wetvac so it should kill any odour producing bacteria.
Ill leave them out the car and in the orangery to dry out before putting them back in.
Got a thorough hoover and wetvac of the interior carpet to do yet though. These tend to hold on to smells the most.
I don't like air fresheners in cars so do this to kill everything and leave a neutral non smelly smell in the car.

I did warn everyone I had high standards.
 
And out with the seats and floormats.

View attachment 44846

Thats one seats worth of detritus. Yummy.
View attachment 44847

Looking much better now. They also smell fresh.

View attachment 44848

Floor mats came up well. Will give these a third and final wetvac. View attachment 44849

I use an antibacterial cleaner in the wetvac so it should kill any odour producing bacteria.
Ill leave them out the car and in the orangery to dry out before putting them back in.
Got a thorough hoover and wetvac of the interior carpet to do yet though. These tend to hold on to smells the most.
I don't like air fresheners in cars so do this to kill everything and leave a neutral non smelly smell in the car.

I did warn everyone I had high standards.

Well it would be rude to not run an ozone machine in there for a bit to really get rid of anything ;)
 
Order placed with Amayama. Nothing major as I still need to het the car up on a ramp to have a prod and a poke.

IMG_5994.png


Hopefully a squirt of lithium grease in the hatch hinges a thorough clean and treatment with gummi pflege and the new rubber stoppers silences the squeaky hatch.

Drivers door card needs to come off to try and silence the rattle from that. This can be done the same time I investigate why the front door speakers don’t work.

Another 60l of fuel added to the tank and a quick shopping run to tesco.
The florescent light always make a car look good. Came out to a group of 5 looking at it and taking pictures. The Imprezas used to get attention but this is on another level.

IMG_5993.jpeg
 
Also seen a power fc and commander for sale at reasonable money.
Are they worth it for a standard car? Do they provide any benefits over the standard ecu? Better engine protection ect.

Long term plan is to run a link, syvecs or haltech. No real power mods planned as I like the power delivery and its more than enough for me. Already been down 400+hp road and tbh it didn’t make the car any more enjoyable on the road.
 
Hey Sam, welcome to the FD fold. If you are hunting squeaks at the back of the car you might want to think about replacing the boot rubbers,

Mazda OEM: FD01-62-681C my old ones were brittle and hard.

When I get round to it, my car is stock bar an Autoexe intake and Racing Beat cat back, I would like to go down the Haltech route for better engine protection and modernisation on the stock twins.
 
Also seen a power fc and commander for sale at reasonable money.
Are they worth it for a standard car? Do they provide any benefits over the standard ecu? Better engine protection ect.

Long term plan is to run a link, syvecs or haltech. No real power mods planned as I like the power delivery and its more than enough for me. Already been down 400+hp road and tbh it didn’t make the car any more enjoyable on the road.
The apexi with a nice tune will completely transform the car. It's probably the best mod you can make to a stock car intended to stay stock-ish.....along with LED bulbs
 
Congrats on the new ride!

Funnily enough, I've had mine since 2018 and have the exact same issue where only the rear speakers work - still not got round to fixing it mind.
 
Second hand Apexi fc and commander purchased.
The map thats on it is for a modified car so know thats no good for mine.

I’ve read some conflicting information about the Apexi. Hopefully someone can set me right.

Can you set these apexi back to a base map?
If you can is this ok to use over the standard ecu.
Am I better off keeping stock ecu untill mods are fitted and done in one go.

Plans are downpipe, sports cat, backbox, induction and thats about it smic if needed?. Might blank off the RV for noise.
Mods are for a bit more theatre when driving. Staying stock twins as I love the response of the twins.

In preparation for mods I want to get all the service items sorted. Always mod from a healthy base.
Plugs, oil and filter are obvious.
Fuel pump.
Fuel filter.
CP leads.
Coilpacks?
Injectors out and bench tested. (Replace?)
Radiator?

Anything else to add to the list?
 
Well.
My compulsive behaviour strikes again. Thats a record even for me.
Autoexe intake purchase quote sent to a friend in Japan. He will find out how much it will cost to buy and ship for me.

Koyo nflow 48mm rad ordered from Torque GT.
They had one in stock so best to order it and it can sit on the shelf till it’s needed.
 
Second hand Apexi fc and commander purchased.
The map thats on it is for a modified car so know thats no good for mine.

I’ve read some conflicting information about the Apexi. Hopefully someone can set me right.

Can you set these apexi back to a base map?
If you can is this ok to use over the standard ecu.
Am I better off keeping stock ecu untill mods are fitted and done in one go.

Plans are downpipe, sports cat, backbox, induction and thats about it smic if needed?. Might blank off the RV for noise.
Mods are for a bit more theatre when driving. Staying stock twins as I love the response of the twins.

In preparation for mods I want to get all the service items sorted. Always mod from a healthy base.
Plugs, oil and filter are obvious.
Fuel pump.
Fuel filter.
CP leads.
Coilpacks?
Injectors out and bench tested. (Replace?)
Radiator?

Anything else to add to the list?

You could sling an aux belt in there at the same time, not detrimental to mods but if you are going to all of that trouble, may as well. I got that done with pretty much all of what you've listed there.
 
Out if curiosity what fuel pump and you thinking of using? I'm going for a similar set up, I'm not overly keen on an after market pump, how good are they long term? I'd rather stick to something OE branded like Bosch of Denso for longevity. Might just a new original pump from Mazda.
 
Out if curiosity what fuel pump and you thinking of using? I'm going for a similar set up, I'm not overly keen on an after market pump, how good are they long term? I'd rather stick to something OE branded like Bosch of Denso for longevity. Might just a new original pump from Mazda.
I need to do some research but I’d probably go for a walbro 255.
Ive had good results with them in my imprezas. Just make sure you buy from a reputable seller as there are loads of fakes around.
 
I did see someone in the US recommending a supra TT pump, I'll see if I can find the denso part number 👍
 
This might help
 
Back
Top