Strange air pump noise

Efini_Dave

Real Name
Wavey
Ok so since I did a coolant swop to FL22 and using the plastic cup thing I now get a strange noise what to me sounds like the air pump but the sound coming through the air filters.

Now when I did the coolant change I filled the plastic cup thing shown in pic below probably too much as is started to rise and spilt over about a mug full or so, pretty much onto the air pump.
IMG_20200527_173327_252.jpg

I've tried spraying the air pump with a lubricant to no avail.

Any ideas?

Before anyone says just remove it I do plan to but I don't have everything I need to do that just yet.

Try unplugging the grey connector on the air pump to disable its clutch and see if the noise stays to confirm it is airpump. Not sure what the actual fault can be. My air pump is noisey but not like that

Last edited:
Haha you'll never get rid of that noise. It's the classic fd moo 😂
You got little restrictor something in your air pump pipes with 3 drill holes. There was an old post from years ago on how to mod it. Try Rx7 club or just google Rx7 moo. Youll find something. Air pump delete gets rid of it 😉
Haha strange noise...mmmoooooooo 😂😂😂

Haha you'll never get rid of that noise. It's the classic fd moo 😂
You got little restrictor something in your air pump pipes with 3 drill holes. There was an old post from years ago on how to mod it. Try Rx7 club or just google Rx7 moo. Youll find something. Air pump delete gets rid of it 😉
Haha strange noise...mmmoooooooo 😂😂😂

I had them and they didnt stop the cow under the bonnet from mooing all the time. only sure way is to get rid of it !

Sorry guys, late coming to this... just fitted a Blitz Advanced Air Filter, never heard the air pump prior to that. My question is what is the potential for long term damage if I simply disconnect the clutch as mentioned by welshkid. The idea being if it effects the emissions I can simply reconnect it for the MOT

Sorry guys, late coming to this... just fitted a Blitz Advanced Air Filter, never heard the air pump prior to that. My question is what is the potential for long term damage if I simply disconnect the clutch as mentioned by welshkid. The idea being if it effects the emissions I can simply reconnect it for the MOT

No damage whatsoever, just disconnect it mate. It's only used for emissions to try and get an fd to pass, most of us gave up with that long ago.

Ok, that's interesting. Untill I replaced the OEM filter I had never heard the air pump in the 7/8 years I've had her. So unless it's a huge coincidence that the pump went on the very day I fitted the replacement I will probably already have killed the cat. I haven't ever checked to be fair, she came with a racingbeat exhaust already fitted but I haven't looked to see if that's a full system or what mid section there is. At present the air pump is still fitted, nor did I fit the restricted into the air line.

Thanks guys, might try to see if a bit of TLC to the pump might reduce the noise this weekend. That and check to see if I actually have a Cat, she was imported about 10 years ago so I'm assuming she has. She's a road car so I dont really want to be swapping the exhaust over each time I need to get an MOT done.