My engine is out.. Now what?

Liam1122

Hey everyone, I have posted a couple of times on here. Got my first 1992 FD3, pulled the engine the other day it was blown, I have a 13B with a street port ready to go in, however whilst it is out I want to change anything that is worth changing, even things that are just for piece of mind as I think it just makes sense doing it now. I would be hugely happy if someone with vast amounts of knowledge could help me at all, this is my first ever car project and if I am honest, I am still gaining knowledge about everything regarding the car, both of my engines came basically as an engine with all ancillaries disconnected, I have 2 boxes of parts from both engines, I really want to understand how everything works together and although my budget isn't 100% set, I would rather spend the cash on parts for the engine.

Its vague what I am asking, I would massively appreciate a good chat with someone via text or even calling.

Sorry I am still a noob, and really need to gain more confidence when it comes to the project ( the engine intimidates me )

Kind regards

Liam

Hey everyone, I have posted a couple of times on here. Got my first 1992 FD3, pulled the engine the other day it was blown, I have a 13B with a street port ready to go in, however whilst it is out I want to change anything that is worth changing, even things that are just for piece of mind as I think it just makes sense doing it now. I would be hugely happy if someone with vast amounts of knowledge could help me at all, this is my first ever car project and if I am honest, I am still gaining knowledge about everything regarding the car, both of my engines came basically as an engine with all ancillaries disconnected, I have 2 boxes of parts from both engines, I really want to understand how everything works together and although my budget isn't 100% set, I would rather spend the cash on parts for the engine.

Its vague what I am asking, I would massively appreciate a good chat with someone via text or even calling.

Sorry I am still a noob, and really need to gain more confidence when it comes to the project ( the engine intimidates me )

Kind regards

Liam
Was it easy to get out?

Take engine out.

Send engine block to rebuilder of choice. But choose wisely.

When refitting components Replace ALL gaskets, for OEM ones. Not shit replica ones made of cardboard and lino.
Change the engine mount rubbers these are probably shagged.
Check the condition of all the hoses.
Consider a clutch upgrade and pilot bearing replacement, don't use an old shit unless it's been changed very recently.
clean / paint the bay now if it's minging.

Assemble the engine with its components making sure you cleaned everything and then get ready to refit it in.

Invite a Freind or two.

You'll need a floor jack under the box to angle the bell housing up. Once you have the engine and box together take the floor jack out and lower the engine in. Use a small pry bar to get the engine mounts through the hole.

It's not difficult just a little time consuming.

Take engine out.

When refitting components Replace ALL gaskets, for OEM ones. Not shit replica ones made of cardboard and lino.
Consider a clutch upgrade and pilot bearing replacement, don't use an old shit unless it's been changed very recently.

Assemble the engine with its components making sure you cleaned everything and then get ready to refit it in.

Invite a Freind or two.

You'll need a floor jack under the box to angle the bell housing up. Once you have the engine and box together take the floor jack out and lower the engine in. Use a small pry bar to get the engine mounts through the hole.

Everything you just said frightens me LOL

Rebuild wise im thinking either, myself, WGT or Rotary Revs

Take engine out.

Invite a Freind or two.

Here is a " issue " I have, I bought a 13B ( from a donor ), its street ported, previous owner did tell me that it starts fine, I want to try test the engine so im guessing just do a comp test, but has to be in the car and hooked up ect

If you ain't confident doing it then pay a man.

Personally I love doing my own work cos it's pretty satisfying.

Not done my own rebuild yet but it can't be that difficult, if my engine goes I'll be doing my own rebuild the next time.

If you ain't confident doing it then pay a man.

Personally I love doing my own work cos it's pretty satisfying.
Not done my own rebuild yet but it can't be that difficult, if my engine goes I'll be doing my own rebuild the next time.

I know but the previous owner said it was rebuilt and he is a trust worthy guy / friend, maybe its best to have test the compression?

Removing the engine takes half a day. It's actually very easy.
Is there a guide anywhere that you know of?
I just know there are a lot of pipes for the turbo for instance... Not sure what to do with Aircon... Water and air pretty straight forward.
then disconecting from the transmission blaa blaa

Panic panic - £5000 spent with someone else HAHA

Is there a guide anywhere that you know of?
I just know there are a lot of pipes for the turbo for instance... Not sure what to do with Aircon... Water and air pretty straight forward.
then disconecting from the transmission blaa blaa

Panic panic - £5000 spent with someone else HAHA

I just removed it all as I dont intend to keep much, cut the ac hoses as they where perished anyway, couple of mates and a hoist, make sure you remove the gear shifter!

Really depends on short / long terns plans for car. While engine is out most items are easier to remove / clean / work on.
I would be checking and looking to replace all vac lines, fuel lines and valves to start with.

Yeah you take the engine out in one whole bit. You don't take anything off the engine itself. But I would seperate it from the box.

The AC compressor you undo that from the mount and leave it in the car.

There's plenty of YouTube and rx7club type tutorials but really its nothing to o be scared of.

If you have an engine. You can't compression test it off the car. Personally I'd see if it's got all it's tips and then fit it. If it's fubar then ring ya mate and verbally abuse him