Twin Turbo Intake Setup

Cullen94

So I'm currently looking at options for a new intake setup, my car is fully stock with Apexi FC.

Intake temperatures can be a worry on track so my main aim is to keep everything cool but also don't want to go too far from OEM, naturally water injection is already on the list, but I'm interested to know what twin turbo setup everyone is running?

So far my plan is to run the AutoEXE carbon ram air intake with some kind of SMIC (Greddy, Knightsports), so would be ideal if anyone running this similar setup could give me some feedback on it.

IMG_4788.JPG

Nice! Jeff will be along soon to show you his imaginary set up I'm sure but here's one that's been actually taken in actual real life ??? so mine kind of looks like this now. I have stock ducting with the famous esprit (?) smic it's still a work in progress atm and the metal plate has been removed! So that's a shit example of air intake.....cue jeff with his 'imaginary' awesome set up ?
IMG-20170702-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20171224-WA0015.jpeg
IMG-20171215-WA0008.jpeg

That isn't actually the Knightsports core, it's the super illusive and expensive Aussie made one that I forget the name of.

A KS IC and autoexe intake should work well. The important bit is taking you time fabricating the ducting, get everything ducted well and you wont have any issues with temps on track (y).

That isn't actually the Knightsports core, it's the super illusive and expensive Aussie made one that I forget the name of.

A KS IC and autoexe intake should work well. The important bit is taking you time fabricating the ducting, get everything ducted well and you wont have any issues with temps on track (y).
Sp ain't it tom? Was it you enquiring on my mates ridiculously priced one?

Sp ain't it tom? Was it you enquiring on my mates ridiculously priced one?

Yeah I was tempted by the SP kit a while back, but decided against it for my blue car. The SP intercooler looks quite different to that, though!

This is an SP IC and intake:

pg12_03b.jpg

Yeah the pic is as really just the idea, I did speak to that mad Aussie bloke about that smic, he wanted about £2k for it. Admittedly it does look good but not for that price and the guy seems to be a complete nutjob.
I guess your right, ducting is also key, may look to see if I can take advantage of the duct hole in the number plate slot on 99 bumper, I think Odula do a part for this.

Yeah I was tempted by the SP kit a while back, but decided against it for my blue car. The SP intercooler looks quite different to that, though!

This is an SP IC and intake:

pg12_03b.jpg

Also I've never seen this before, does look good.

Nice! Jeff will be along soon to show you his imaginary set up I'm sure but here's one that's been actually taken in actual real life ??? so mine kind of looks like this now. I have stock ducting with the famous esprit (?) smic it's still a work in progress atm and the metal plate has been removed! So that's a shit example of air intake.....cue jeff with his 'imaginary' awesome set up ?View attachment 1047View attachment 1045View attachment 1046

Nice! Who's Jeff :unsure:

The Autoexe and Greddy will be a bitch to fit. The Autoexe already hits the bonnet when closed and the extra thick Greddy core could get in the way.

I like the stock air box as it is a true cold air solution and I made my power in my signature with it (and a paper filter), but I had to modify the air guide a lot (it's still fully functional!) to make it all work.

The Autoexe and Greddy will be a bitch to fit. The Autoexe already hits the bonnet when closed and the extra thick Greddy core could get in the way.

I like the stock air box as it is a true cold air solution and I made my power in my signature with it (and a paper filter), but I had to modify the air guide a lot (it's still fully functional!) to make it all work.

I like your setup a lot man, very tidy and functional. Not going to lie I was drawn in with the AutoEXE for bling factor a little, but never heard that it doesn't fit under their bonnet?

If you look at second hand ones you usually can see where they rub quite clearly. It's a shame as otherwise they're a decent design.

I'd like a mazdaspeed intake ideally, but they rarely come up and go for strong money.

If you look at second hand ones you usually can see where they rub quite clearly. It's a shame as otherwise they're a decent design.

I'd like a mazdaspeed intake ideally, but they rarely come up and go for strong money.

Hmm, shame I can't test one to see if it clears my RE bonnet. Mazdaspeed one must be rare, I can't even find pictures of one lol

These only came on the RX7 SP model in Australia, right?

Attachments

• pg12_04b.jpg
    pg12_04b.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 529
I think I showed Roy some time ago about the induction box and baffle plate that Autoexe do which replaces the stock cover of the standard air box with a new baffled frame with a heat shield that deflects hot air guided past the OEM radiator away. This is a good bit of kit for enhancing the stock air box so it increases air flow. The part number to search for via Autoexe or other distributor is MFD957. It certainly doesn't break the bank like the carbon intake system they sell that most are familiar with.

0001422_autoexe-sports-induction-box-for-rx-7_550.jpg

The twin core 'Super U Type III' stock mount intercooler from Knightsports is joy expensive and not entirely sure if the overall surface area of the core is really that much larger than say the Greddy / ReAmemiya cores. Ideally you would get hold of an SP / Mazdaspeed intercooler as they were made by formerly ARC (Now ARC Brazing) who are the bees knees in quality cooling cores but know they are hard to come by.

Another thing you can do to improve intake efficiency is to work back to the actual turbos themselves and gasket match the turbo compressor inlets on the housings to just before the surface around the compressor wheel impeller blades. You can get a slightly greater flow of intake air into the turbos that way even if you are shimming just 1-1.5mm off the inlet. That's a bit hardcore though, needing to completely take the turbos apart to do this but I will leave this as a bit of advice you might take on board later on. ;)

One last thing is if possible order a hard pipe kit for your intake tracts to the twins and replace the stock rubber corrugated pipes that aren't very attractive / introduce unnecessary turbulence of the incoming air. You can order a set pretty cheap online and they also come with the silicone couplers to join the airbox to the turbos.

Mine isn't a stock mount setup so it isn't a fair comparison to a more OEM setup regarding intercooler and intake placement, but thanks Nigel anyway for the shout out. My Intake cover is designed exclusively for a V mount setup even though it does accommodate an OEM piping route past the conical filter in my intake kit. (y)

I think I showed Roy some time ago about the induction box and baffle plate that Autoexe do which replaces the stock cover of the standard air box with a new baffled frame with a heat shield that deflects hot air guided past the OEM radiator away. This is a good bit of kit for enhancing the stock air box so it increases air flow. The part number to search for via Autoexe or other distributor is MFD957. It certainly doesn't break the bank like the carbon intake system they sell that most are familiar with.

0001422_autoexe-sports-induction-box-for-rx-7_550.jpg

The twin core 'Super U Type III' stock mount intercooler from Knightsports is joy expensive and not entirely sure if the overall surface area of the core is really that much larger than say the Greddy / ReAmemiya cores. Ideally you would get hold of an SP / Mazdaspeed intercooler as they were made by formerly ARC (Now ARC Brazing) who are the bees knees in quality cooling cores but know they are hard to come by.

Another thing you can do to improve intake efficiency is to work back to the actual turbos themselves and gasket match the turbo compressor inlets on the housings to just before the surface around the compressor wheel impeller blades. You can get a slightly greater flow of intake air into the turbos that way even if you are shimming just 1-1.5mm off the inlet. That's a bit hardcore though, needing to completely take the turbos apart to do this but I will leave this as a bit of advice you might take on board later on. ;)

One last thing is if possible order a hard pipe kit for your intake tracts to the twins and replace the stock rubber corrugated pipes that aren't very attractive / introduce unnecessary turbulence of the incoming air. You can order a set pretty cheap online and they also come with the silicone couplers to join the airbox to the turbos.

Mine isn't a stock mount setup so it isn't a fair comparison to a more OEM setup regarding intercooler and intake placement, but thanks Nigel anyway for the shout out. My Intake cover is designed exclusively for a V mount setup even though it does accommodate an OEM piping route past the conical filter in my intake kit. (y)

Some very good info there thanks Jeff! Definitely plenty to think about and consider.

Still looks nice though don't it jeff ?
There's a sp intake box in Swansea jeff, did you know? I've seen it ? ner ner ???

Still looks nice though don't it jeff ?
There's a sp intake box in Swansea jeff, did you know? I've seen it ? ner ner ???

Type ..........................L (left-to-right) x H (bottom-to-top) x W (front-to-back) (mm) = Size difference compared to stock
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock ........................295 x 115 x 65 = 1.0x
ARC M103...................310 x 150 x 105 = 2.21x
KNIGHTSPORTS...........300 x 160 x (75x2) = 3.27x
BLITZ.........................280 x 140 x 102 = 1.81x
GREDDY.....................295 x 190 x 100 = 2.54x
Old RE-Amemiya................Apparently same core as Greddy = 2.54x