RX7 LS1 V8 rebuild

Mar71n

Active member
Craig's been working on the wiring loom most of this week & thursday he started powering up some circuits. I am lost looking at this & just make some ah & yer type noises when he's explaining what he's doing :)
IMGA0714.JPG
IMGA0716.JPG

This is all that's left of the wiring that runs forward then accross the front of the car & back to the drivers side, And it's all new wire.
IMGA0717.JPG

Version 4a of the 3D printed head lamp mount.
IMGA0718.JPG

I've had to remove the upper stop bracket so will need to introduce that but it looks like I can use the lower one. We had the motors working to raise & lower them but it looks like their a little bit heigh I've only got the bumper to work off so going to wait untill the bonnet & wings are back on. There's a plan to go for paint at the begining of next month.
IMGA0719.JPG
 
Last edited:

Mar71n

Active member
Found another date on the underside of the head lamp covers.
IMGA0737.JPG

I was never happy with the way the KS bezel mounted into the original head lamp cover so hot glued them togeather.
IMGA0739.JPG

Then decided to take a mould off the two parts. I had hopped to be able to split them after but thats not going to work.
IMGA0740.JPG
IMGA0741.JPG
 
  • Like
Reactions: Spendyrx

Mar71n

Active member
I wrestled the carpet out of the car on Saturday. Version 5a of the head lamp mount is been printed over the weekend, I've had to wait for this print as the guy has been doing some real work as if messing about with car stuff is not real work!
Hopefully going back to TGR body work to get the body kit fitted & paint.
IMGA0747.JPG
IMGA0748.JPG
 

Mar71n

Active member
Both filled & blended togeather.
IMGA0751.JPG

This is escalating!!
Some years ago I did a bit of work in Carbon Fiber with mixed results.
I've watched this video so I'm having a go at producing the cover in Carbon Fiber.
Easy Composites starter kit turned up on Monday
IMGA0752.JPG

First step is coating the covers in their pattern coat which is like a liquid filler which once cured you can flat back to a smooth finish.
IMGA0753.JPG
 

Mar71n

Active member
All flatted back & polished, I'd not done any work on the upper face & I'd soon flatted through in a number of areas. With hindsight I should have sleeked filler over the the whole surface & started again with the liquid filler.
IMGA0760.JPG

Joint lines all done & ready for the gel coat.
IMGA0761.JPG

It's dull in this picture as I've just waxed it for the last time & I'll leave it over night to dry & polish it before the gel goes on.
IMGA0762.JPG
 

Mar71n

Active member
All layed up.
IMGA0763.JPG

Joints surfaces removed.
IMGA0764.JPG

Trimmed & gel coated.
IMGA0765.JPG

This has moved on a bit. Looks like I didn't take any pictures of the 2nd lay up.
IMGA0766.JPG

Removable support for the plate that I'll have to bond it to the underside of the cover. the wooden plate will give me the correct position,
IMGA0767.JPG

Both parts split out of the moulds, allway's a brutal process considering the efforts you go to to create the parts & moulds.
IMGA0768.JPG
IMGA0769.JPG

I've not used this resin before & it looks like I used too much gell coat on the first part & it has got too hot & burnt into the the surface, you can just see the marks in the surface. Bugger!
IMGA0771.JPG
 
Nec classic car show