New door lock dust shutter rebuild kits

Buy now for 19.50 GBP - Expired
Hey guys, I have been offering door lock dust shutter rebuild kits to the FD community on the main USA RX7 forum for a while with many satisfied customers and just thought I would post here too since the same issues with crumbling plastic door lock cover plates does not discriminate based on where the FD may be located, it is an equal opportunity problem...

The setup comes with a pair of kits and each kit includes a new black finisher plate, a new clean, white, plastic OEM type shutter plate, and a new spring. This will give you all the parts needed to rebuild the door lock outer dust shutters for an FD door lock set. In case you are wondering, the "dust shutter" is the part that flips in as you insert the key in the door lock. The FD dust shutter is white plastic on both doors, presumably because Mazda included a door lock illumination lamp in the driver side door lock and the white shutter will illuminate when the lamp is on.

Because the shutter itself is plastic, it degrades over time from exposure to the sun, etc. eventually turning yellow/brown and finally crumbling into bits and falling into the door lock mechanism. When this happens, you can pick out the bits but then your door lock will be open to the elements and you then have to deal with the missing shutter. Mazda never sold the dust shutters by themselves however up until a couple of years ago new lock assemblies were available, they were $$ but at least there was that option if the shutter had failed. New locks are NLA now. This kit rectifies that problem. You can rebuild your door locks with a nice white OEM plastic shutter plate, a new spring (if you have lost the original) and a fresh black fascia plate to replace the scratched up original. If your car still has original dust shutters, they are probably pretty beat up by now if they even are still there at all.

FD's came with two styles of door lock finisher plate, chrome and black (I have heard that there is a third style that is grey, that was used for special edition FD but I have not been able to confirm it). My car originally had chrome, most seem to have used black. Unfortunately, the chrome shutter kits are NLA now, only the black style is available. However, if you have a chrome finisher plate and need a new shutter this kit will still work as the shutter and spring are exactly the same, and the finisher plate is also identical except for black versus chrome. The original chrome finisher, even if scratched or rusted, can usually be restored with chrome polish - so it is still possible to rebuild chrome style lock using the original finisher plate. Or, an originally chrome plate-equipped FD can be fitted with black fascia plates - the parts are the same except for finish.

A pair of kits is $24USD/19.5GBP or , one kit per door lock (i.e. two kits per car). Shipping via Post is $18USD for a First Class mail package. Total cost is $42USD/34GBP. Shipping is weight-based and a set of kits does not weigh much, so about 10 kits can be shipped for the same postage cost. More than that, a different package is needed and cost goes up slightly. I'm located in California, USA, so payment in USD is needed for the item and shipping.

Here are some images of the parts included in the kit, and a nice Montego Blue FD with kit installed installed...

p1060041_770dbff361f980c30365b2943f9527e79e7eb32d.jpg

img_1205_2b12899f5367c155903e926e09490204ec41a902.jpg

Please pm me if interested/questions, or you can just order based on the information here I suppose. I can usually ship the same day payment is received, or the following day at latest. Thanks!

Looking good!

One request for future orders: If possible, please include a contact phone number in your paypal or pm message order request. Reason is, a phone number is required on the customs form. I have been just inputting my cell # but on the off chance that the recipient needs to be contacted it is better to have a real, local, number. Not a big deal if a local number is not available, though.

Mine have just arrived, no fault of seller, been delayed in US customs, this 4-6 week delay now seems the norm since covid

It has been really hit and miss on the shipping time, most orders have gotten to the recipient in 2-3 weeks, a few have gotten stuck somewhere at the US side at international departure for an additional 2-3 weeks, and recently a couple have gotten stuck on the UK side for a couple of weeks when they arrived to London. It's almost like a stack of mail gets pushed to the side for days then finally someone notices the pile of letters sitting there and puts them back into the work stream. I'm sure there is a better reason... I hope so at least! For sure, operations at the postal service have been impacted hard by Covid-19. I have looked into other shipping options, the next best way cost wise is UPS standard international, that is 3-8 days supposedly but the cost goes up almost double, $34 per shipment. It's kind of a bummer when shipping costs more than the item but the UPS option is there if anybody wants it - just let me know. For tax, I do what I can but governments are pretty hungry for funds these days! :cautious:

Thanks everyone!

Only got around to fitting mine the other night. Fits and works perfectly. They look good too.

Mine had the chrome shutters originally but I think the black ones that came with the kit look better.

As my car had central locking from factory my door key barrels have hardly been used. one of my shutters was missing, the other was broken. My passenger lock was corroded solid, you couldn't even see the key gates for corrosion let alone move them with the key. If anyone else's is like this, don't try and force it, you'll just end up breaking the lock. I stuck mine in an egg cup full of concentrated lemon juice and left it bubbling away for 3 hours and it came out gleaming like new with all the gates etc freed up and working again. (Use heat to accelerate the process, I just used a mug full of boiling water with the egg cup inside). I'm sure the new shutters will keep out the rain and help reduce any further corrosion.

I'll give mine a douse in acf50 yearly along with the door handle joints to keep them corrosion free from now on. Although she should be in a garage and finally out of the weather soon so that should help a lot!

IMG_20200929_191346.jpg

IMG_20200929_181937.jpg

Buy now for 19.50 GBP - Expired