My RX-7 FD3s Type-R 1992

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Here are some pictures on my FD3s.

She is still on twins and standard apart from the following mods.

Apexi PFC (Mapping by WGT)
Tein Flex adjustable shocks.
Feed replica Side Skirts.

DSC07497.JPG

DSC07493.JPG

DSC07494.JPG

Reactions: Tjp8

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Hi sorry it's been sometime since I posted as due to life and other things going on I have not had much time for the 7. So I hope it's going to change I have started thinking of things to upgrade over the OEM items and started with.

Koyo Racing N-Flo Radiator 53mm Core
SFS Performance Radiator Hose Kit
SFS Performance Ancillary Hose Kit

As we have had two quite hot years for a rotary will a 27 year old one on standard cooling I my case. I thought the cooling would be a good place to start this winter so expect a lot of help being called for as if it can go wrong it will in my case.

Will keep you all laughing with updates.

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Hi All, seen that every one from the MRC and FDUK have nearly all moved over here. I have started to move my thread over from there to here. So here is a time line of my FD3 from when I got her back in 2008 I hope it doesn't boor to much :)

When I bought the FD it was with my heart not the head! seen it on the Autotrader up in County Durham so had the long drive up there to have a look. Test drive was ok she had no service history no compression test or rebuild history!!!! but she started fine HOT and cold and needed some TLC as there was bits missing cracked and smashed reflectors so I had to have her! and bring her back to how these cars should be.

Here are the advert shots. from Autotrader.
Mazda RX7 mine 01.jpg
Mazda RX7 mine 02.jpg
Mazda RX7 mine 03.jpg
Mazda RX7 mine 04.jpg
Mazda RX7 mine 05.jpg
Mazda RX7 mine 06.jpg
Mazda RX7 mine 07.jpg
Mazda RX7 mine 08.jpg

She might have been owned by somebody on here as she had been in the country since 2004.

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale

Well after the drive back and watching the temp gauge all the way home
eek.gif
all was well she never missed a beat. I had to phone the guy up from the petrol station on the way home to find out how to open the filler flap
confused.gif

The next few days I was getting hold of the parts I needed and booked her in at WGT I wanted Pip to give his honest opinion to see if it's a good FD or a bad FD. Well the news came in about 1hr after I dropped her off. Compression ok 6.5 to 6.9 just needed brakes all round, back box, shocks, and a major service. Not bad for a buy with the heart and I have got a nearly standard FD that's been modified.
DSC04989.jpg
DSC04997.jpg

Not long after I was out for a drive and was giving it a good blast and noticed that the second turbo was coming it at around 6k
eek.gif
after checking on here and the MRC that's not right. So back to Pip for a look turned out the CAT was knackered and there was a break in the loom.

So CAT replaced with a silent mid pipe and now second turbo coming it at the right time 4k.

That's 2008 done.

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Well first MOT time since I have owned her booked her in at Lindop Motorsport (Silverstone Motorsport or whatever they are called now) and had the fit a Apexi ECU with Commander needed anti-roll bar linkages and we are good to go.

DSC00122.JPG
DSC00287.JPG

Then booked in at WGT for mapping then it was off to the Nurburgring
biggrin.gif

DSC07081.JPG
DSC00346.JPG
DSC00368.JPG
DSC00359.JPG
BILD1506.JPG
Marcus At The Ring MOD.jpg

That's 2009 done.

Reactions: Paulm

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale

Well through the winter I carbon wrapped my plastic interior parts as they had some bad scratches on them.
DSC00561 (Custom).JPG
DSC00562 (Custom).JPG
DSC00577 (Custom).JPG

DSC00578 (Custom).JPG
DSC00563 (Custom).JPG
DSC00565 (Custom).JPG
DSC00566 (Custom).JPG

DSC00568 (Custom).JPG
DSC00579 (Custom).JPG
DSC00580 (Custom).JPG

Then it was MOT time which she pasted no problem but after about 2 months in my garage I found this waiting.
DSC01022 .JPG
DSC01027.JPG

One of the rear springs snapped
frown.gif
but then got hold of these instead of going standard.
DSC01084.JPG
DSC01194.JPG

At the same time I fitted some side skirts (feed copies)
DSC01203.JPG
DSC01207.JPG

DSC01408.JPG
DSC01418.JPG

That was 2010 done by the end of summer I was thinking of which way to go?

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
At the start of the year I decided to get rid of the 60mm boost gauge on the A pillar and go with a bit more of a standard look.

DSC06180.JPG
DSC06181.JPG

Went for STACK Oil pressure / Oil Temp / Boost Pressure fitted into a gauge pod from FLYRX7 over on the RotaryCarClub.com

DSC06441.JPG
DSC06444.JPG

DSC06448.JPG
DSC06577.JPG

Next was to paint my brake callipers I know some people don't like it but I think they look a lot better than the old rusty versions.

DSC06585.JPG
DSC06587.JPG

That's 2012 done it would of been nice to drive her that year but we all know the rain came and did not stop.

Reactions: noop

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale

This year there was no mods just driving but then I found these going for free over on the MRC.
DSC07714.JPG
DSC07716.JPG

Cloth RX8 manual seats in mint condition so I will be going to fit them at some point I have seen over on the RX7Club.com that some guy has done this and I also noticed an FD at Rotorstock 10 last year had them fitted. So it could be easy or hard? but I will find out when I get a welder!

2013 also seen the wife's RX8 get PX ed for a Mazda 3 Sport 2.2D after 7 years of services in the family as her new meant she had a long journey to work.
RX8_2.jpg
77524_371004.jpg

Last edited:

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
I have got hold of these Tein Flex Control Master and ploy roll bar bushes as I noticed last year that there was play in them as well as the track rod ends. Plus a load of service parts that I have been waiting to do.
IMG_20140210_110315_316-1.jpg
IMG_20140210_110122_401.jpg

DSC08378.jpg
DSC08376.jpg

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Well the weather was pretty good today so I decided to start to change over the shocks on the FD.

I decided to started with the rear suspension first and the anti-roll bar bushes. I could not believe how easy it was to change them! I must have do something wrong.

DSC08382.jpg
DSC08384.jpg

DSC08385.jpg
DSC08386.jpg

Not sure if the old bushes are past it but for how easy the job is to change them might as well.

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Next was the rear shocks, out with Blisteins that have been on for nearly 4 years ( these were only to be temporary when I got them ) with my new Tein's. I remembered to measure the height of the centre of the wheel to the arch before jacking her up so I can set the ride height.
DSC08380.jpg
DSC08387.jpg

Did not think that there was this must difference between the two types.

DSC08388.jpg
DSC08390.jpg

All fitted and torqued up it was quite an easy swap over usually when I set out to do work like something always goes wrong.

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Rear Wheels back on now and ready to lower off the stands.
DSC08397.jpg
DSC08400.jpg
DSC08401.jpg

I was quite made up when I dropped the jack as the change over went really well and fast only took me 2hrs. The ride height was the same as the old shocks which surprised me?

I will be starting the front tomorrow if the weather holds. There is a little more work on the front as I have the Track Rod Ends, Anti-Roll Bar Bushes and the Shocks hopefully it will go as smooth as the rear.

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Right Day 2.

Got the front end jacked up and on the stands. Removed the under tray and started spraying WD40 on the bolts for the anti-roll bar brackets. They looked really scabby and I was expecting the bolt to shear.

DSC08402.jpg
DSC08403.jpg

But luckily them came lose ok with my big torque ratchet.

DSC08405.jpg
DSC08407.jpg

This is the drivers side which I noticed some play in it last year before putting her away for winter.

DSC08408.jpg
DSC08409.jpg
DSC08410.jpg

All done back together and torqued up. Again it was as easy as the back I was quite surprised by this god know how much a garage would charge.
icon14.gif

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Now it's time for the shocks out with the old and in with the new.
DSC08411.jpg
DSC08412.jpg

Started with the drivers side sprayed all the nuts with WD40 and removed the bracket holding the ABS wire. Some write ups on the net say to remove your ABS sensor but you do not need to do this.

DSC08414.jpg
DSC08415.jpg
DSC08416.jpg

I found that using your scissor jack under your brake disc to support the hub when you remove the top wish bone bolts really helps when taking out the shock. It also comes in for fitting the new one which is shorter as you can just raise it up into the top mounts.

Drivers side done and torqued up.

marcusd666

Frodsham, Cheshire
Real Name
Marcus Dale
Passenger Side.

Pretty much the same as the drivers side apart from this time when I loosened the shock top mount bolts I had a hard time getting the lower bolt out!

Which when removed (hammer and punch) the shock wedged itself in the lower wishbone! Out with the coil springs and then try to compress the shock to get it out of the lower mount.

DSC08419.jpg
DSC08420.jpg

After a bit of swearing and brute force I managed to get it out.

DSC08422.jpg
DSC08427.jpg
DSC08429.jpg

New one in and torqued up she is ready to come off the stands so it's wheels on and down she comes.

DSC08423.jpg
DSC08431.jpg
DSC08432.jpg

All done for the shocks and anti-roll bar bushes I'm quite made up that it has gone to plan with no major problems at all. Just have to do the service and track rod ends now and she should be good to go once I have been to Pip's and get the alignment done and set-up the shocks.

DSC08423.jpg