Just joined FDOC - Owned my FD3S for 2 years now.

jandesousa

Hi All,
Thought I'd say a quick hello. Here is my 1993 FD3S Type R.
Engine rebuild about 4000 miles ago, Turbos rebuild and upgraded to hybrid turbos and tuned by Pip.
Absolutely love it :):):)
Still bits to do ...... well ... always bits to do. I'm sure I'll get more info of this site :)
FB_IMG_1554587115799.jpg
FB_IMG_1554587259502.jpg

Very cool. What do you mean by Hybrid Turbos?
Using a good set of the standard twins, they were completely stripped, cleaned, waste gate ported as big as possible, All new bearings and then the compressor wheel replaced with a bigger BILLET wheel :)
At a push you can probably run 1.5 bar boost on these but I'm only running 0.8 bar at the moment. Few more bits to do with cooling before going to 1.0 bar :)
All work was carried out by Midland Turbos. Top work and I would recommend them to everyone. Pick of when they were done ... pitty you can't see em.
FB_IMG_1500673471726.jpg

Lovely car and welcome to the club, just so your aware I've no doubt your twins can run 1.5bar but all twins stop making power over 1.1 -1.2 bar due to the manifold. The good news is that with bigger billet wheels it should make good power at a lower boost.

Does pip build these in house now?

Lovely car and welcome to the club, just so your aware I've no doubt your twins can run 1.5bar but all twins stop making power over 1.1 -1.2 bar due to the manifold. The good news is that with bigger billet wheels it should make good power at a lower boost.

Does pip build these in house now?
Thanks mate and thanks for the info. Was not aware of the manifold constraints. Don't think I'll ever run to over 1.2 bar. Pip advised against it. The rotary doesn't like to much boost does it šŸ˜..... but don't really need a lot of boost either. Mine is making 315bhp at 0.8 bar. As far as I'm aware Pip sends his turbos to Midland Turbos as well now šŸ˜‰

So, they are the same concept as BNRs but made by Midland as a one-off? I would be interested to know the pricing of something like that as a potential local alternative for UK guys instead of buying BNRs.
So not really a one off built. Not sure if they the same as BNRs. They are a rebuild set of standard twins with new internals and you can upgrade to a bigger billet wheel as well. You supply the standard set of twins and Liam will work his magic šŸ˜ I am well impressed with mine and wanted to keep the sequential twin setup. Think it's way cheaper than BNRs as well. Let me have a word with Liam and I'll post up on here with more information.

Thanks mate and thanks for the info. Was not aware of the manifold constraints. Don't think I'll ever run to over 1.2 bar. Pip advised against it. The rotary doesn't like to much boost does it šŸ˜..... but don't really need a lot of boost either. Mine is making 315bhp at 0.8 bar. As far as I'm aware Pip sends his turbos to Midland Turbos as well now šŸ˜‰

A healthy figure and a 300bhp seq twin is a very fun car. Those sound like rebuilt standard turbos which is good as you know they are going to be strong and reliable. 310-320 is usual for 0.8 bar boost, and running them around 1 bar is pretty much perfect.

So not really a one off built. Not sure if they the same as BNRs. They are a rebuild set of standard twins with new internals and you can upgrade to a bigger billet wheel as well. You supply the standard set of twins and Liam will work his magic šŸ˜ I am well impressed with mine and wanted to keep the sequential twin setup. Think it's way cheaper than BNRs as well. Let me have a word with Liam and I'll post up on here with more information.

Yeah you'd have to machine out the compressor cover to accept a bigger wheel, which isn't impossible but I'd be surprised if midland turbo did that.
DM Motorsport did it a few years ago so it is possible just quite technical and expensive.

They would have needed to modify the inlet volute of the compressor cover to accept the bigger compressor wheel, in addition to inserting a brand new cartridge backing plate to sit the wheel to it flush once attached to the turbine shaft. The wheel will also need the right threaded hole to fit the stock turbine shafts assuming they are not reinforced ones larger than standard. I knew about how these hi flow turbos were built when I took my Knightsports units apart.

Hi guys. Looking at having the twins rebuilt, this is interesting as Midland turbos are down the road.
What was the total cost to get this set up with a bigger wheel?

Yeah you'd have to machine out the compressor cover to accept a bigger wheel, which isn't impossible but I'd be surprised if midland turbo did that.
DM Motorsport did it a few years ago so it is possible just quite technical and expensive.
Apologies for the late reply. Been a bit busy. So just to confirm Midland Turbos does the above. I've got bigger billet wheels. I've had a word with Liam. He said anybody is more then welcome to contact him to discuss in more detail. His name is Liam Doyle. You can contact him on Facebook or messenger. He's a proper nice lad and will help wherever he can :)
I did have pictures of the rebuild. I'll see if I can find them.

Hi guys. Looking at having the twins rebuilt, this is interesting as Midland turbos are down the road.
What was the total cost to get this set up with a bigger wheel?
As mentioned mate ping Liam at Midland Turbos. Think you will be well surprised at the cost. I wouldn't want to say as Liam is a very good friend of mine and did a special price for me šŸ˜‰