Is Evans Waterless Coolant a good idea???

ascari

After seeing Ed China use it on a number of cars, and now my Rex is in pieces needing new coolant, it begs the question is £215 of EWC worth it?

This is what I found:

Pros
  1. No water, so no rust
  2. No water, so no vapour which apparently can cause blisters that keep the coolant from contacting with the metal of the block, and so causing hot spots around the block
  3. Higher boiling point, so even at temp, it doesn't pressurise the system = more time before a weakness becomes a leak
  4. Reuseable, so never buy coolant again
Cons
  1. Expensive for 10L at £215 (£65 prep fluid + £150 EWC) vs £20 for 50/50 long life coolant
  2. Must remove at least 97% of old water coolant, or it becomes pointless. So if you break down with a coolant leak, you'll need a bottle of EWC to top up. Alternatively add water to get home, and spend another £215 when it's back in the garage
  3. Engine expected to run 3-10 Celsius hotter than 50/50, as confirmed by Steve Hickson MD of the U.K. Company
Con #3 kills it for me... but maybe I'm missing something.

I’ve used it at work on Resto’s in the past and have usually changed back to regular coolant. My Rex is pretty standard but I’ve never seen the temp over half way on the shit dash gauge in over ten years using normal coolant. Personally I wouldn’t bother, it causes more trouble than it’s worth.

I’ve used it at work on Resto’s in the past and have usually changed back to regular coolant. My Rex is pretty standard but I’ve never seen the temp over half way on the shit dash gauge in over ten years using normal coolant. Personally I wouldn’t bother, it causes more trouble than it’s worth.
Why did you change back?

Not worth it. Run the recommended ratio of 55/45 as per Mazda FL22 and you won't get any rust and will be just fine with temps even on a track.

Also used this stuff in cars at work in road and race applications and most if not all went back to regular coolant. Tried it in race cars and it doesnt expand and becomes superheated causing all sorts of issues. I would say if you have an old classic that sits around and you potter to the shops once in a blue moon in it then it would protect the engine more than regular coolant but thats about it.

By the time you buy the prep fluid, hassle of flushing through and you can only top it up with the same stuff, then your wallet is looking somewhat thinner. I would just get Mazda fl22 as Roy said.

sorry to bang on... what did you find didn't work in real life? did it not keep temps low enough, or is it you have to carry a bottle of EWC in case of leak?
It seemed to leak out at every opportunity, no leaks with coolant. Temps went too high, replaced it with coolant now works fine.

Damn.....damn

TangibleOccasionalGoshawk-size_restricted.gif