I broke it quickly...And repeatedly...Chaste White Rebuild

A quick video showing under the car prior to treatment and undersealing. All in all not in too bad condition considering it’s age, the welding he mentions I had done on the inner sill for the MOT.

I’ll post up an after video once done, more for record if I ever move the car on.

A quick video showing under the car prior to treatment and undersealing. All in all not in too bad condition considering it’s age, the welding he mentions I had done on the inner sill for the MOT.

I’ll post up an after video once done, more for record if I ever move the car on.

Sure is a bit crusty under there, not tempted to strip it all back and paint it?

People tend to be weary of underseal as it can hide a multitude of sins. Might be worthwhile getting some cavity protection in as well,

Not going to be up for sale anytime soon then? lol
No, it’s a keeper. It’s more to protect the car if I get caught in the rain. It’s a summer car really but can never be sure with our lovely climate, I just wanted some level of protection vs having none at all but you make a valid point.

Sure is a bit crusty under there, not tempted to strip it all back and paint it?

People tend to be weary of underseal as it can hide a multitude of sins. Might be worthwhile getting some cavity protection in as well,
Just curious, you're not the first person to say it negatively affects value but if you have really well taken pics showing everything underneath before the seal wouldn't that help?

Just curious, you're not the first person to say it negatively affects value but if you have really well taken pics showing everything underneath before the seal wouldn't that help?

The problem is you really need to really prep and treat the affected areas prior to applying the underseal and get any residual moisture out before sealing, as most people that tend to do it just slap it on then wonder why the underseal starts to blister and form rust cracks. If you have evidence to show the clean up, application of treatment and then underseal I can see no reason for anyone to question it, yes so would help.

But nowadays there are so many traders that sell lemons with fresh underseal on that people are not surprised their new purchase needs ££££'s spent on it at the next MOT.

I think it's a better approach on 90's JDM cars to strip back, repair, treat, and paint then add a protection film not underseal especially on appreciating cars like the FD's.

The problem is you really need to really prep and treat the affected areas prior to applying the underseal and get any residual moisture out before sealing, as most people that tend to do it just slap it on then wonder why the underseal starts to blister and form rust cracks. If you have evidence to show the clean up, application of treatment and then underseal I can see no reason for anyone to question it, yes so would help.

But nowadays there are so many traders that sell lemons with fresh underseal on that people are not surprised their new purchase needs ££££'s spent on it at the next MOT.

I think it's a better approach on 90's JDM cars to strip back, repair, treat, and paint then add a protection film not underseal especially on appreciating cars like the FD's.
The company doing my undersealing won’t just be slapping on whatever product they use and calling it a day. They will be fully stripping back and cleaning/prepping the whole underside beforehand.

A few more pics of the progress, hoping it’ll be painted by this time next week.

6FFAA59D-EC59-43F7-BD81-E68A41CE02E1.jpeg
D3CA9780-8D29-49FC-ABC0-C2679602A88A.jpeg
1E8928F2-8A5B-45C8-AB16-780D421A7713.jpeg

A chap called Anil at Dream Bodworks in Bristol. He's currently painting one of Chris Harris's cars too.

Wow did you say your cars in Bristol? I had no idea you were local to me, I live like 40mins away lol :unsure:

Can you pm me what the rough estimate for a respray at this place please?

Wow did you say your cars in Bristol? I had no idea you were local to me, I live like 40mins away lol :unsure:

Can you pm me what the rough estimate for a respray at this place please?
Yes I’m in Cheltenham, probably an hour or so from you in Cardiff. Bodyshop is in Bristol.

You’d have to get in touch regarding prices for bodywork. Anywhere from £3k-£9k depending on what you want. Custom work, welding, bare metal paint job, engine bay etc etc. I’ll likely be somewhere in the middle.

Sits nice, was that just rolling or did they pull/shape the arch at all? Looks mint already!

Yes he’s basically fixed what was a poor rolling job before and properly shaped/pulled them. Also properly sealed on the inside too rather than left with horrible sharp edges.

Last edited: