2002 Bathurst - Innocent Blue - initialDean Build

cib24

Admin
Event Organiser
London
Real Name
Roy
Whats this bit mean? @cib24

That's kind of it. I have followed that plus done a few upgrades and my car has been very reliable even when I let it heatsoak after switching it off to 115 C with the bonnet closed.

You had asked what the top tips were for running a rotary. I mentioned the following:

1. Replace worn out items
2. Change oil every 2,000-3,000 miles
3. Change plugs every 3,000-5,000 miles
4. If you are on a Power FC make sure you have a good tune with optimal temp correction setup so you can floor it when it's hot (you will just have less power)
5. Fill up with at least 97 octane.

The comment you are referring to is me just saying as long as #1-5 are good, then you can just drive the car around and simply treat it like any other car. Even if you don't open your bonnet in summer and let the engine bake at 115C coolant temps, it won't matter. The car will run and drive fine if #1-5 are sorted.

Reactions: Paulm

cib24

Admin
Event Organiser
London
Real Name
Roy
Yeah it was the lifting the bonnet thing that confused me. When would you normally open the bonnet?

Many owners pop their bonnets after driving to let the engine cool off quicker and reduce heatsoak in the engine bay, as over time the heat is technically not great for the rubber hoses and plastic bits. Rotary owners are typically diagnosed with paranoia and OCD after owning a FD for a little while.

jdmr_neil

Dean, there is no reason with a decent built and tuned engine it won't far surpass the reliability of your s2k. I came from hondas and my fd has outlived and been harder driven than any of them. My first build was an unknown standard jimmys build after after pip charged me for a tune that was non existent i went to my current tuner. He has looked after it ever since and that first build got flogged for 11 years.

Is all in the build and tune mate, choose reliable rotary guys, not big name piston guys.

initialDean

Ah right I’m with you now. I’m definitely going to open my bonnet all the time always 😂

I’m planning on using Stu. Only heard good things. And I’ve met him. Lol

ideally want to drop it with him and collect it, rebuilt, ran in, mapped and mot’d. Am I dreaming? Lol

initialDean

Many owners pop their bonnets after driving to let the engine cool off quicker and reduce heatsoak in the engine bay, as over time the heat is technically not great for the rubber hoses and plastic bits. Rotary owners are typically diagnosed with paranoia and OCD after owning a FD for a little while.
I have full OCD. That’s why I thought I might suit an RX7. The S2000 got boring. Nothing ever to fix on it lol

Reactions: noop and Paulm

initialDean

Tbf all the turbo cars I’ve owned, after every drive I always take it really slow for the last mile or so to allow the air to cool the engine a bit before parking it up

cib24

Admin
Event Organiser
London
Real Name
Roy
Ah right I’m with you now. I’m definitely going to open my bonnet all the time always 😂

I’m planning on using Stu. Only heard good things. And I’ve met him. Lol

ideally want to drop it with him and collect it, rebuilt, ran in, mapped and mot’d. Am I dreaming? Lol

No, he can do all of that for you if that's the way you'd prefer it done, and at least you know it would be done right and he'd stand by the work.

initialDean

Off she goes on her adventure 😬

F913921B-5CC8-4A7F-9136-4354CF39A355.jpeg

initialDean

I've got one just left it off while it was sent away lol
I was going to get a new battery but he said nothing is wrong with this one. So all good.
New Intercooler is about that last thing left I need to sort for now lol

Reactions: MKZ7212

initialDean

Update on my car

Interior
Replaced the Gear Knob
Fitted a magnet to hold my phone and cover up a crack in my air vent
Finished fitting the Old Radio and MD changer
Mounted an extinguisher in the boot

Exterior - Engine
Sprayed and Fitted the Front Splitter
Sprayed and Fitted the Rear Spats
Replaced the Centre Pipe
Fitted an ARC SMIC
New Rear Emblems

Rebuilt by Rotortorque incl Turbo Rebuild and Clutch
I have Ran it in now and have the Dyno Day booked.

Not sure Whats next on the job list other than paintwork, discs and pads and tyres at some point

Photos below

IMG_6700.JPEGIMG_6709.JPEGIMG_6712.JPEGIMG_6683.JPEG249A807F-F7EB-45AA-A98A-03FA14C217DE.jpgIMG_6783.JPEG

initialDean

Update Time

Rebuild and Running in complete
List of Spec
  • Power FC ECU
  • Apexi Twin Intakes
  • Turbos Rebuild
  • Engine Street Ported
  • New Fuel Rail
  • HKS Downpipe
  • Racing Beat Centre Pipe
  • Racing Beat Rear Pipe
  • Arc Super SMIC
Initial Mapping came out at 383bhp... however was struggling to keep up with Fuel with the stock Pump so next step is to change to a better fuel pump

Really happy with the result and she drives like a beast!

Nec classic car show