1992 montego blue single turbo

Efini-dan

Real Name
Daniel
Hi guys,

So ill start by saying this is a long term project ??

Ill let the pics do the talking for now and ill put a full up to date log of the work so far.

It was rusty beyond belief but i saved it and now im trying to iron out some running issues but its on the road and im happy with it so far.
20180504_113358.jpg
20171006_163758.jpg

actual dead rodent in the rats nest ?
20170825_161718.jpg
20170927_181032.jpg
20171006_163831.jpg

Attachments

• 20171006_163838.jpg
    20171006_163838.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 340
  • 20171006_163821.jpg
    20171006_163821.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 316
Haha we're really getting alot of fds in Wales now! Guess what..... monty blue is the winners choice ? and another one in Swansea ? you make sure you get that on the road ASAP ? check out 7/7/18 hopefully you'll make it!
I won't ask where in Swansea you are but hopefully we'll meet up soon! Funny actually as I have a monty blue bumper hanging in my shed that keeps whacking me on the head but I don't think I want to sell it as I like hoarding fd parts! Yoi just never know what's round the corner!
Anyway good to see another jack with a monty blue! I just hope you don't have red badges as they may get stolen ? and if mine magically turns up with red badges then it wasn't me ?

That's about as rusty as an old UK FD I fixed up was. The patches seemed to go on forever! I ended up having to cut the outer sills off mine and fab up the lot, def worth sticking a bore scope through the sill bungs and checking it out :).

Nice to see another one getting saved :).

Cheers for the comments, it is actually on the road now, im trying to get it running right before i spend money getting it resprayed hence it looks rough at the mo.

Spendyrx, I'd seen the 7's day meet your organizing and may pop along. I actually bought the car off shane from big perm, he found it in neath where it was sat on someone's drive for 10 years.

So,
I've done a tonne of welding and properly too, not this patches on top of rust rubbish, all the old rotten bits were cut out and replaced with all fabricated pieces.

Once i was happy, the car was sprayed with rust converter underneath on any patches with surface rust and then black stonechipped all underneath and in the arches.

The front bumper is red due to there being a veilside one on ther before and it had to go ?

It ran sweet on the drive but when i came to mot it, it played up all the way there. So after a while of investigating i found the omp was knackered and throwing it into limp mode.

Prior to this id bought a spare ecu as i thought this might have been the problem, turns out it was, as well as the omp.

So now the car is drivable but still not right as there is a strange running issue where it'll go all the way up the revs in bottom gear, up to 5000rpm in 2nd, and if your not travelling fast enough only up to 2500 in 3rd 4th 5th no matter what load you put on the engine. Although if your cruising in 5th and drop it to 3rd or 4th and bring the revs past 2500, itll pull up to 5000rpm.

The symptom feels like fuel cut but like i said it does this under any engine load, and ill also point out that it does it at 0.6 bar and 1 bar.

Any suggestions will be welcomed but ive had three people tell me it's probably the rats nest and ive already replaced some of the vacuum lines with silicone but ran out of pipe so some are still concrete rubber ?.

Hmm. I'd be looking at coils and injectors with them troubles I think!
But yeah, defo start with replacing the rats nest vac lines! Also you can get cheap check valves from eBay so when you snap them (you will) just buy them. I'll put a link at the bottom!
I know the car. Saw it for sale last year! Fair play to you on the rescue though!

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windscreen....D.:4mm|Pack Size:3 Valves&varId=560391442372

There you go mate. I think I used 4mm valves! Have a look at others for sale too as these may be a but more expensive than when I bought them! Still cheaper than 10 quid a valve from Jimmys. .....and they're new! Oh and I put them on mine 6 years ago!

So as the car was running fine, i decided to actually bolt the ecu in properly rather than it laying in the footwell. I did this and when i started the car coincidentally it ran like shit 😠, long story short, i think the loom is dodgy or the ecu plug needs re pinning as when i twiddled it the car ran fine 😂.

Has anyone on here used the rywire loom?

Been looking and it seems like a well made piece of kit but if there are any other options out there I'd consider them.

I dont have the time to rewire it myself and ideally want a plug and play option.

Haha bloody typical mate. Have you cleaned the ground?
Way be worth having a quick look at the back of the plugs to see if theres any loose wires! No doubt you've already done both of these suggestions though 😂

So as the car was running fine, i decided to actually bolt the ecu in properly rather than it laying in the footwell. I did this and when i started the car coincidentally it ran like shit 😠, long story short, i think the loom is dodgy or the ecu plug needs re pinning as when i twiddled it the car ran fine 😂.

Has anyone on here used the rywire loom?

Been looking and it seems like a well made piece of kit but if there are any other options out there I'd consider them.

I dont have the time to rewire it myself and ideally want a plug and play option.

I haven't actually used my rywire yet but it's a nice bit of kit and looks very well put together.
I got mine from 'Ed', he did a group buy on some other forum... I believe he still sells them.
I've seen quite a few, on said other forum who are more than likely on here, do their own from scratch and they've looked good too.

Awesome, think i might go for a rywire and single turbo then, the car still needs a lot of work but i know mechanically its right so i think ill take it off the road and go through it properly.

It was fun while it lasted haha.

If anyone knows of a rywire single turbo loom in the uk for sale let me know.

Now i just need to compile a list of components needed for a single turbo conversion.

Is a stock port engine (with suporting mods) ok for 350-400hp?