James' 92 RZ build

Not much interesting happening at the moment. I degreased and cleaned the engine bay ready to get the engine back in. Also took a few brackets off and painted them up. Just tidying up the last few bits while I can access it before the engine goes back in. Got a crane sorted for this week so I can get the engine in next Saturday.

Cleaned and prepped brackets

All painted black. Also done the wiper arms as they were pretty rusty.

Also painted the air pump

Got the car over the pit at my unit ready to put the engine back in

Been a while since I've updated this. Finally got the engine back in the car. Was fairly easy getting it back in, couple of bits took a while as I couldn't remember how they went back but got there eventually.

Unfortunately the car didn't want to come back too life. Had a few issues. First was the ignition amplifier stopped working. It had been wired to the leading coil so had I spark on the trailing plugs not the leading. Removed that and still had issues. Removed the wiring harness for the coils to find the wiring wasn't the best and the cable inside the leading connector plug had pretty much snapped, hanging on by a couple strands of wire. Sorted that, put the car back together. Hoping that had cured my issues, tried starting it and eventually got some signs of life from the engine. It did start but only ran on the front rotor.
So that brings us to today, I've took everything apart again. Found that the rear rotor primary injector is stuck closed. Bit annoyed as I had the injectors sent of for cleaning and testing so not sure why this has happened. I'll be speaking to the company that cleaned them on Tuesday and hopefully they can get it sorted for me. Fingers crossed the next update will be the car is actually running.

Currently still sat looking sorry for itself in bits again.

Looks good mate cant go wrong with Tim rebuilding.
Where in Devon are you?? Theres a few people with fds down this way in Dorset and somerset.

Looks good mate cant go wrong with Tim rebuilding.
Where in Devon are you?? Theres a few people with fds down this way in Dorset and somerset.
Thanks. Tim has been very helpful all the way through the build.
I'm from Okehampton. I know of a couple locally but never see any on the road.

So I finally got the car running! After speaking to injector tune who cleaned the injectors it turns out they can stick closed after cleaning. So after putting power to it and tapping the metal body it freed up. Put the car back together and it fired up at last!

Everything seems ok so far. The idle is a bit high but I think the IAC valve is sticking. I have improved it since the video but still needs a bit of work to get it perfect.

Cleaned up the intake pipes as well. Still want to clean the whole bay up more but I'm happy with how it is at the moment.

Got a defi din gauge set up to replace the existing gauges and tidy up the interior. I want to get rid of the pillar mount I have at the moment and wanted something that looks almost standard, as personally I'm not a fan of gauges mounted everywhere.

Comes with everything needed to fit it.

Decided to tee the water temp sensor in the throttle body coolant hose. Been reading online where to fit it and it seems a popular way too do it on the American forums. Plus it's tidy and hides the sensor out of the way. Ordered the wrong size fittings though so haven't got that sensor fitted yet. Car already had a oil temp gauge so reused the existing oil pedestal adapter for the new sensors.

Wired it into the CD player loom so it's easy to remove if I ever need to and saved cutting up the cars original wiring loom.

Can't find a plastic trim anywhere to fit the gauges so figured I'd make of out of mdf and spray it black to match the plastics.

Got the mdf in primer just need to pick up some paint tomorrow to finish it off.

Got the trim finished for the defi gauges. Bit more of a Matt finish than I wanted but it will do.

Also got the correct fittings for the water temp sensor. Got that installed and working.

Then Finished off getting it in place above the head unit.

Been trying to tidy up the interior a bit recently. The misses got me a new head unit for my bday as the old one was rubbish.

Out with the old

New one too replace it.

I also got a new centre console switch panel as the screw tabs on mine had broke so the gear gaiter used to move around. As I was changing the panel I ordered a padded box to get rid of the ashtray. Also got a red stitched suede gear gaiter and handbrake gaiter to match the steering wheel.

How it looked before.

How it looks after I fitted everything.

Really pleased with it. Its made a massive difference to the interior, looks so much nicer now. Next up is a service as I've done 1000 miles on the rebuilt engine. Then it's going up too Stu and Jaydee for mapping.

Got a few bits done today. Gave the car its first service after the rebuild. Ordered the bits from Essex rotary and also got some lightweight pulleys aswell.

Got a hks twin power and 99 spec y pipe off eBay as well

Managed to get the service done and fit the hks twin power and y pipe but didn't get round to doing the pulleys. Hope I don't have to do another fuel filter again. Not a very nice job to do given where it's mounted.

Spoken to Stu about getting it mapped now so when I've got some free time I'll be Booking it in with him and jaydee for a map.

Got the trim finished for the defi gauges. Bit more of a Matt finish than I wanted but it will do.

View attachment 14305

Also got the correct fittings for the water temp sensor. Got that installed and working.

View attachment 14306

View attachment 14307

Then Finished off getting it in place above the head unit.

View attachment 14308
Im going to be doing the adaptor for the coolant hose just checking they are 10mm or 3/8 arent they as my hose was all split so just threw it away